Fibromyalgia is a label given to a group of pain symptoms that plague many people. By itself, it is not really a disease. People with fibromyalgia-like symptoms or chronic pain states are very ill. In my opinion and the opinion of many astute alternative medical practitioners, the causes of this chronic pain probably are many and usually include the following:
1. Hormonal abnormalities - most common:
- a) Subclinical adrenal failure
- b) Subclinical hypothyroidism
Hormonal abnormalities can have nutritional and toxic causes and are probably influenced by numbers 4, 5, 6 and 7.
2. Nutritional causes (magnesium deficiency, deficiency of aminoacid-neuropeptide precursors, low essential fats, B-vitamins, etc.) Eating of processed or bioengineered “food”or items that did not exist thousands of years ago while humans were evolving such as hydrogenated or trans fats.
A high carbohydrate diet causes hormonal imbalance in favor of estrogens. So 2 influences 1, 3, 4, 7, 8 and probably 5.
3. Systemic toxicity (heavy metals such as mercury, lead, aluminum, cadmium, petrochemicals, organophosphates, chlorines and mold toxins)
Systemic toxicity is certainly influenced by the level of exposure to a toxin and number 2: nutritional status. The body can and does detox 24/7/365 if it has all the essential nutrients. A diet deficient in nutrients, especially essential fats, and high in unusable processed items will not supply the liver what it needs to detox, so this leads to accumulation of toxins. So 3 influences all the others.
4. Psycho-emotional problems (unresolved conflicts, post-traumatic stress) Affected by and influences all the others.
5. Structural problems (whiplash injury, craniosacral dysfunction, “osteopathic lesions”, chiropractic “fixations”)
Often suspected as a trigger in many cases, structural problems most certainly interfere with normal nerve conduction which is how the body communicates between areas along with the hormonal system. Affected by and influences all the others.
6. Environmental stress (underground water lines, electromagnetic-smog) Influences all the others.
7. Idiopathic/genetic-either unknown or genetic predisposition. Influences all the others.
8. Subclinical chronic infection- Most people I have seen have this. Affected by all the others, especially 2 and 3. Can be considered to be a source of toxins as in number 3.
It should be apparent that all these categories can and probably do contribute to the inflammation of chronic pain. From one individual to the next the influence of each category is probably uneven and different. Each should be explored and findings dealt with as a package. In my opinion, 2, 3 and 5 are most easily assessed and when improved, have a great positive impact on the health of the individual.
All the categories can be assessed without blood or urine tests using Applied Kinesiology techniques.
If you are suffering with chronic pain and don’t know where to turn, come see me in Wellesley on Monday or Thursday or Acton on Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday or Saturday and get an evaluation and lets get you on the road to recovery.
Call 978-264-4151 or 978-394-2147
or e-mail me at jackson5448 @ comcast.net.